Monday, June 25, 2007

Life in the Way

I hate it when life gets in the way.


that's all I'm saying! I've been trying to finish Extremely Loud for the past week or so, but I just can't seem to find time to get through those last 10 pages or so! Between my brother being here and Drew leaving (and having to work on his going-away memory book) and then meeting Rob and kind of having to deal with everything that came along with that, it's just been a busy time. And it makes me sad, because I'll lie in my bed and look at the pile of books on my floor, and I really do want to get through them all! Because I know they're fabulous books. I can feel it. They all just feel heavy with that weight of...literacy. I don't know. I'm probably not making any sense. But let me just say this about Extremely Loud - I don't think I've ever read a book that has so many beautifully, wonderfully, fully sad passages. And I'm not talking sad in the way of death or dismemberment. I'm talking sad in a crushing way. The kind of sad that you can just feel in your chest, way down in the pit of your stomach. The kind of sadness that is almost beautiful - the kind that crushes your heart and makes you want to gasp and sob and just stop breathing, if only for a split second. I hope you all know what I'm talking about, because I'm really not sure I know anymore.

Other than all of that, the only other interesting thing to have happened to me in the past week or so has been my college orientation, which took entirely too long and was filled with entirely too much pointless information. I did, however, end up with quite a cool schedule. Between my "Queen and Contemporary Culture", "Honors Introduction to Ethics" and "Language and Culture in Latin America" class, I'm actually really excited to start going to class! Among other appealing aspects of the college life, of course!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a 24 year old newlywed, getting my library science degree all while working in a bookstore and trying to find some of the big answers in the big books - and the small books, while I'm at it. I'm interested in all types of fiction and personal non-fiction, all procedural cop dramas, and a fair portion of the TV that airs on the BBC3! I care about sustainability, agricultural ethics, independent documentaries, and admitting freely that I don't have all the answers - and may never - but I'm trying to have fun while I figure it out!